Brad Metzger Restaurant Solutions
Executive Chef of Schwarzman Center for Yale Hospitality New Haven CT
Salary: $ – $
Yale Hospitality serves to bring unparalleled dining experiences to the students, faculty, and guests of Yale University. The core mission is to nourish a culture in which the interwoven pleasures of growing, cooking and sharing food becomes an integral part of each guests experience at Yale. This mission is carried out consistently through core values, focused on integrity, care, ownership respect and unwavering commitment to excellence. Yale Hospitality operations include 14 dining halls, 13 restaurants & cafes, and extensive catering.
The Schwarzman Center, opening in 2021, is a combination of food hall, pub, and venue space. Culinary offerings will feature global inspired dishes, inspired by the Diversity of Yale University and the New Haven Community. There are several spaces within Schwarzman Center where the Yale community can gather to dine, connect, and experience ongoing art events.
Yale Hospitality is looking for a talented Executive Chef to lead the Schwarzman Center culinary team in developing and executing a world class culinary program. This role is intrinsically involved in the opening and continual success of the eight concepts within the Schwarzman Center. The Executive Chef is a crucial component of the leadership team and reports to the Director of Hospitality Operations.
- Plans, develops and implements an exceptional and the highest quality executive dining programs. Ensures that programs and processes are aligned with business goals and objectives.
- Utilizes exceptional culinary and communication skills to interact effectively with clients and constituents of the University, of all levels.
- Provides leadership for professional staff and union employees to ensure excellence and high quality hospitality standards are successfully implemented and maintained. Participates in developing and executing a strategic plan that creates best in class operations, drives increased customer satisfaction and meets financial targets and is in alignment with business strategies and objectives.
- Participates in developing and executing a strategic plan that creates best in class operations, drives increased customer satisfaction and meets financial targets and is in alignment with business strategies and objectives.
- Oversees and manages the work of culinary staff; complies with safe food handling and equipment safety guidelines and sanitation standards.
- Oversees purchasing of food, supplies and equipment adhering to department purchasing policies. Maintains proper inventory controls.
- Achieves financial goals by reviewing transactions, check average, guest counts, daily food cost, daily labor cost and other expenses and making the necessary adjustments to operations. Follows through on variances with the team and implements action plans as needed.
- Plans and manages business unit/division’s operating processes and practices and collaborates with various constituencies to ensure that business operating programs are aligned with business goals and objectives.
- Develops and coordinates marketing strategies to enhance business revenue and customer satisfaction; ensures marketing plans are implemented according to established timelines.
- Contributes to the development of the annual operating plan and budget, and forecast updates.
- Oversees and manages the food/inventory management system for recipe development, creating cycle menus, forecast production quantities, inventory levels, purchasing and managing cost.
- Develops written standards and holds culinary staff accountable to those standards.
- Incorporates new technology, trends, recipes, curriculum concepts, program ideas, and other relevant information into the curriculum.
- Conducts instruction, food preparation/technique, and best in class culinary training in an exemplary manner.
- Enforces sanitation principles, attendance, professionalism, uniform, and hygiene policies.
- Strives to maximize the Department sustainability goals.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary Arts and minimum 5-6 years progressive culinary leadership experience OR a combination of both.
- Exemplary track record as a leader who drives and sustains results.
- Ability to maintain composure in a potentially stressful environment.
- Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to delegate tasks with proper instructions with follow through and follow up.
- Proficient knowledge of P&L, budgeting and forecasting.
- Familiarity with hospitality management software and able to use a computer.
- Physically able to stand, bend, move, lift and carry up to 25 pounds, as well as work in areas with temperature fluctuations.
- Knowledge of/certification in/ adherence to safety and food sanitation including any food safety certifications as mandated by State of Connecticut.
- Able to work flexible hours, days, and shifts including holidays.
Compensation package consists of a competitive base salary, relocation assistance, and extensive benefits including: medical/dental/vision insurance options, retirement plan, home buyer plan, child scholarship plan, and more!
This is an incredible opportunity to join a world class leader in academia and hospitality!
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individuals sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance.